- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup white sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1/2 cups flour, or more if needed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Dissolve 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar and yeast in 1 cup warm water in a bowl. Let stand until yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam, about 5 minutes.
- Beat flour, oil, egg, salt, remaining sugar into yeast mixture until smooth, adding more flour if needed to form a soft dough. Turn dough onto a floured work surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to cover completely with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a towel and place in a warm area until dough is doubled in size, about 40 minutes.
- Punch dough down and turn onto a floured work surface. Divide dough into 18 pieces and shape each into a 6-inch rope. Arrange dough pieces on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper about 2 inches apart; cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size, about 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove cover from dough. Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Mix melted butter and garlic together in a bowl; brush over each breadstick. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over each.
* Note: Instead of garlic and parmesan you can simply brush breadsticks with melted butter and sprinkle sea salt over each.