- 3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a 8 or 9 inch square pan with parchment, extending over the edges.
- In a medium saucepan, mix sugar, cocoa and salt. Stir in milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a full rolling boil.
- Boil, without stirring, until mixture reaches 234°F on a candy thermometer or test by dropping a small amount of mixture into a small bowl of very cold water. It should form a soft ball which flattens when removed from the water. (Be sure your candy thermometer doesn't rest on the bottom of the saucepan.)
- Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. Do not stir. Cool at room temperature to 110°F (lukewarm).
- Beat with wooden spoon until fudge thickens and just begins to lose some of its gloss (about 7 minutes).
- Quickly spread in prepared pan and cool completely before cutting into squares.
Store in tightly covered container at room temperature.