- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 100ml warm water
- 100ml warm milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 50 grams mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl add all dough ingredients except for the butter. Mix well to incorporate. Chill for 10 minutes in refrigerator.
- Knead dough for a few minutes then add the butter. Knead for about 6-8 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. It should clear the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- Lightly grease the bowl and let dough rise covered with a towel or lightly greased plastic wrap until doubled. About an hour, depending on the warmth of your kitchen.
- Poke hole with your finger... dough will not shrink or collapse.
- Divide into 16 equal parts, shape into balls and cover. Rest 20 -30 minutes.
- Roll out rested dough into a small rectangle. Flip dough over and roll it up from top to bottom. Place on pan and rest 5 min while doing the same to all 16 pieces.
- Take out two pieces at a time rolling each into 30cm long strip, thin at the ends and thick in the middle. Lay both pieces across each other in an X and twist them into a two strand braid. Pinch the ends and place on parchment covered baking pan. Continue until there are 8 twists.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 - 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a small bowl mix together, butter, minced garlic, salt and parsley. With a spatula add the mixture to a sealed ziplock bag.
- Once twists are done rising, brush them with an egg wash.
- Cut a hole in one corner of the ziplock bag and evenly squeeze the garlic butter mixture lengthwise in one strip from one end to the other of each twist.
- Sprinkle grated mozzarella cheese over the top of each.
- Bake for 10 -12 minutes at 400°F.