Lace's Shephard Pie
- 1 - 1 1/2 lbs potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 213ml can tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef or chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cheddar cheese
- Fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a large pot, cover potatoes with water and add a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and cook until totally soft, 16 to 18 minutes. Drain and return to pot.
- Use a potato masher to mash potatoes until smooth. Add butter and milk. Mash together until fully incorporated, then season to taste with parsley, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, add ground beef, season generously with salt and pepper, and cook until no longer pink. Drain fat.
- Add onion, carrots, garlic, and Italian seasoning and cook until fragrant and softened, 5 minutes. (Add frozen vegetables like corn or peas if desired.)
- Sprinkle meat with flour and stir to evenly distribute. Cook 1 minute more and add beef or chicken broth and any remaining beef mixture ingredients. Bring to a simmer and let mixture thicken slightly, 5 minutes.
- In a casserole or baking dish spread the meat mixture across the bottom evenly then spread the potato mixture evenly over the meat. Sprinkle cheddar cheese and parsley over the top.
- Bake at 400° F for 20 minutes. (Add an additional 5 or so minutes on broil to add some colour to the top. Watch it carefully so it doesn't burn.)