- 6 1/2 - 7 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 3/4 cups very warm water
- 1/4 cup canola oil (any neutral-flavoured oil)
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, salt, instant yeast and sugar.
- Add water and oil, mix until combined. (The mixture will be thin)
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.(Will become slightly bubbly.)
- Uncover and stir while gradually adding another 3-4 cups of flour until the dough comes together in a ball that clear the bottom and sides of the bowl and doesn't leave residue on your fingers. (Will be slightly tacky, not over floured or dense.)
- Knead for about 2 minutes until the dough is smooth.
- Lightly grease the bowl and let dough rise covered with a towel or lightly greased plastic wrap until doubled. About an hour, depending on the warmth of your kitchen.
- Lightly punch down the dough and divide into two equal pieces.
- Grease two 8 1/2 inch x 4 1/2 inch bread pans.
- Press each piece of dough into a thick rectangle about 8 inches long. Roll it up pinching the seams together. Place in bread pans.
- Cover with a towel and let the loaves rise until doubled and the dough has risen about an inch above the rim of the pan, about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F while the dough is rising.
- Bake for 30-32 minutes until golden and baked through.
- Remove from oven and transfer to cooling rack. Let cool completely before slicing.